Sunday, September 19, 2010

A Tug on the Sleeve

A Tug on the Sleeve

Felt I a tug on my sleeve
I turned my head to see
A tiny palm outstretched
Alms it wanted to receive.

A little girl I saw
She was no more than eight
With a little kid on her other hand
Adding another quarter to her weight.

The tug that had been on my sleeve
Struck deeper to prick my heart
Gave out the coins in my pocket
Contented I had played my part.

But the truth I knew to myself
Two loaves of bread it would buy
And then to get the next meal
The outstretched palm wouldn't shy.

My station arrived (and was I thankful)
I got down and started walking fast
Not sure if I wanted to reach someplace quickly
Or if I just wanted to leave the place I was last.

2 comments:

ronaks said...

Is there a part 2 comin up?? Start hote hi khatam ho gaya...well written tha....was lookin for more!

Unknown said...

niceee :)
Dint quite understand the concluding part.... :)